I have been thinking a lot about a conversation I had with a friend recently – moreover, though, how I can’t help but feel that I have had this same conversation with dozens of people, and that I often wonder how many times a day this same conversation takes place. It takes many forms, but, [...]
It is no secret at this point that I love being an entrepreneur, and it’s a profession that I would recommend to virtually anyone. At the first mention of job-related trouble, the de facto advice I’ll dispense is to quit your job: burn the bridge behind you and don’t look back. I’ve given away more copies of The [...]
I’ve heard that, in the minutes before a natural disaster, farm animals often exhibit a general and uneasy restlessness – long before any detectable indicator appears on the horizon, they mill about and complain noisily, not exactly able to identify the impetus for their discontent – but fearing the impending storm nonetheless.
Careers and relationships are curiously similar, I think, and as a pair are quite unique in how we approach them. We dive headfirst into these commitments with only partial information – information which, more often than not, turns out to be inaccurate. I don’t mean to imply that job openings and potential romantic partners are [...]
Sometimes I stroll into the grocery store and a big, goofy grin spreads over my face. Look at me, buying my own groceries. It’s not that I particularly love grocery shopping, exactly. Despite being 26 years old, I just still get a kick out of being an adult. I distinctly remember homecoming weekend, sophomore year [...]
The brain is a wondrous instrument – it builds detailed mental models of how our world functions, storing a dizzying array of information based on historical observations that we’ve made. The purpose of these models, or schemas, is to provide us with a framework for decision making prior to committing to a given course of [...]
There’s a point, I think, where some people stop changing – they reach a certain level of personal growth, a plateau of sorts, and they just freeze. There must be a muscle deep within your soul, responsible for curiosity, for improvement, for disruption, and, one day, it just starts to atrophy.
Flick, flick. Nothing. The power was out in my apartment. In the middle of June. Awesome. I walked out the door and down the hall, finally coming across a neighbor on the floor below me. “Hey man, is your power out too?” I asked. The neighbor shook his head no and that’s when my mind began [...]
My forearms are burning. I open and close my hands a few times, observing the frustrating sensation of having them respond at about half the speed that I’m requesting of them. Over my left shoulder is a spectacular view of Pike’s Peak, far below me a group of climbers – some onlookers, some stealing a [...]
I’m a great worker. I haven’t always been that way, but a combination of better-defined goals and a genuine love for my job has made it relatively easy for me to sit down and crank out a solid six hours of productive work per day. But six weeks ago, I examined my day-to-day life and I [...]
- 10 Easy Ways to Improve Your Life Today February 14, 2012
- The Most Important Thing You’ll Ever Learn February 16, 2012
- 8 Simple Philosophies That Changed My Life February 20, 2012
- How I Make Money, Part I: Top 3 Myths That Stop Would-Be Entrepreneurs February 6, 2012
- Are you happy? (My year in review) March 2, 2012
- When I Grow Up January 22, 2013
- How to Name Your Startup January 6, 2013
- The Lost Generation, Explained (finding purpose in an uncertain future) November 23, 2012
- Creating a Vacuum (or, when to move on) November 6, 2012
- Twentysomething October 24, 2012
- tp: great stuff. any update on part III being publishe...
- Improve your life today, ready for tomorrow. | MotivationalNetwork: [...] http://zackkanter.com/2012/02/14/10-easy-thi...
- Dubem Menakaya: Amazing blog post, your a great writer, what you s...
- l0ve0utl0ud: Great post. If we don't know our path, we should ...
- Billy Murphy: Great post— so many people don't understand a l...